- Program Info
- FIG Leaders
- FIG Clusters
- Contact Us
- More Information
Florida State University Freshman Interest Group (FIG) Program
HUM 4924: FIGS PEER INSTRUCTION (1 CREDIT)
- The purpose of the training program this spring is to help you develop the knowledge, skills and perspectives that you will need as a FIG Leader in the fall term. It's important to note the distinctions between these three elements: "knowledge" = information about the FIG program, FSU and new students; "skills" = capacities for facilitating activities in a classroom and working with students individually; "perspectives" = ideas and concepts that support the values of this unique liberal studies educational endeavor.
- Successfully completing the training program will require you to engage in a variety of experiences and complete a number of assignments. We'll begin by engaging in some experiences and assignments that reflect what is in store for FIG students in the fall so that you can see the program from the inside-out, so to speak. We'll then switch to the "other side of the podium" and engage in some activities directly related to instructor preparation.
- As you know, successfully completing the program is just one part of becoming a FIG Leader. As we need to ensure that every prospective FIG Leader is well-poised to take on this important role, I will evaluate your performance based upon the following principle: our only way to determine what your commitment to your FIG would be is to evaluate your commitment to the training. The final selection/matching will happen at the end of the semester.
- Weekly Seminar: I expect you to come prepared to actively participate in HUM 4924 each week - this means arriving on time, staying for the duration of the class, and being prepared to engage in the activities of the day. See the timeline for an overview.
- Assignments: There will be a number of assignments to complete outside of class, commensurate with a 1-credit course. We'll introduce and discuss these assignments throughout the semester. I expect you to complete all assignments on time and with the effort and quality that you would expect of your students in the fall. See the timeline for an overview.
HUM 4924 is a one-credit letter graded course. In order to receive credit, you must actively participate in each weekly class session, attend all required events, and complete all assignments. I may excuse emergency absences, but please notify me as soon as possible, preferably in advance of your absence. Excellent attendance is considered as no more than one unexcused absence.
To earn the following grades you must:
|A=||submit all projects correctly and on time, participate actively in class discussions and have excellent attendance|
|B=||submit all projects correctly and on time, participate in class discussions and have excellent attendance|
|C=||submit all projects correctly and on time, participate in class discussions and have good attendance|
|Introductory Meeting||What's a FIG? What's a FIG Leader? FIG COLLOQUIUM Introductions HUM 4938r Overview and Expectations||.|
|Week 1||Introductory Meeting Review HUM 4924 Syllabus & Assignments FIG COLLOQUIUM Syllabus & Assignments||Thoughts: "Advice from Former FIG Leaders" What do you want to talk about with (not talk at) your students in the fall?|
|Week 2||FIG COLLOQUIUM Topic Brainstorming Lesson Plans: Guidelines and Examples Principles of Didactics and Discussions||Five FIG Colloquium Topics - Titles and Descriptions 1 Excursion Idea|
|Week 3||Peer Review Prepare for Work Weeks||1 paragraph/artifact in portfolio - printed 1 Lesson Plan|
|Week 4||Work Week - No Class||Work on assignments due week 6 and participate in group excursions|
|Week 5||Work Week - No Class||Work on assignments due week 6 and participate in group excursions|
|Week 6*||Peer Review||Portfolio (email URL to figs@FSU.edu) FIG Colloquium Timeline and Lesson Plans|
|Week 7*||Presentation/Facilitation Practice||Practice Prep (Details TBA)|
|Week 8*||Presentation/Facilitation Practice (cont.)||Practice Prep (Details TBA)|
|Week 9||Excursion discussion Realities of Being a FIG Leader||Self-Evaluation (Details TBA) Excursion|
|Week 10||Realities of Being a FIG Leader||Final Portfolio (email URL to figs@FSU.edu) Final FIG Colloquium Timeline and Lesson Plans|
|Week 11-16||Realities of Being a FIG Leader||.|
|Finals Week||This week will announce final FIG leader selections and FIG assignments.||.|
* March (after you register): Turn in a printout of your Fall semester schedule. Add any other times that you could not lead a FIG or take a HUM 1920 class (e.g. practice times, required work times or meetings, etc.).